Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Holiday Weekend Yo-yos

We had great Labor Day weekend!  We visited my mother-in-law's new log home in Kentucky (which was fabulous) and all three of my boys (my husband and two sons) had a phenomenal time riding around on ATVs on their property.

(I will have photos of the new log home and some ideas I have in a future post).

Since I had most of the applique work done on my two quilts, I needed a project to take with me on this trip (it was a 4 hour drive!).  I decided to make yo-yos for a quilt that was on the cover a past issue of American Patchwork and Quilting magazine.


I'd gotten a lot of yo-yos made but it is still only a fourth of what I need to make for the whole quilt.

Another item I took was another new read, The Help by Kathryn Stockett.  I had finished the book today and I'm looking forward to see the motion picture at the movie theater (although I think I waited too long, the movie is no longer at our local theater).


I loved the story.  Athough it had a happy ending, I had expected some twist and turns in the storyline that didn't happen. And every time I think about Mae Mobley saying "You is kind. You is smart. You is important." to Aibileen, it brings tears to my eyes.  I hope the movie will be just as moving as the book was.

The last block of Henrietta Whiskers had just come out, so I'll be anxiously finishing Block Nine and I hope to get the rest of the quilt put together by this weekend (I'll keep my fingers crossed!).

More to come later.

Jane   <3

1 comment:

  1. I recently read The Help and agree with you, I too expected a few things that didn't happen. I didn't get around to seeing it at the movies either. Sometimes after seeing a movie adapted from a book that I like I feel disappointed and so I wasn't sure I truly wanted to see it. Maybe sometime I'll catch it via rental or on TV.
    I haven't ever made yoyos. Unsure if that's my thing so maybe someday for accents on an applique piece or something.

    ReplyDelete