Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Lonely Quilt Gets Recognition

 

My favorite librarian had asked me if I had a quilt she could use in a display at her library a while ago.  She had asked for a lap quilt but I told her that I had a small quilt she could use.  It was the first quilt I had started when I was pregnant with my first son.

sign sitting on top of quilt 

During my first son's pregnancy, I was obsessed with any reading material I could get my hands on- from books to magazines to pamphlets from the doctor's office.  The first book I had purchased was "What to Expect When You're Expecting."  It had become my pregnancy bible.  After reading it every single day, I had noticed the quilt that was on the cover of the book.

The book cover has changed since the one that I had but I believe the quilt in the background is still the same or very similiar.
 
 1986 book cover
 
updated 2008 book cover 
 
At that same time, "Simply Quilts" was still on television and I thought I would make this quilt for the new baby.  So with my novice enthusiasm, I had gone to the nearest fabric store, with my book in hand.  As best as I could, I matched the fabrics with the colors on the book. 
 
But once I got home and had the diamond shaped cut out, I was unsure how to piece them together.  I had decided to hand-piece would be the simplest method to use.  Once I had run out of fabric, I was fortunate enough that it was a good size baby quilt.  But then I had to construct a border.  And lastly, the most complicated part of the quilt for me, at the time, the quilting.
 
finished baby quilt
 
Because of the little mistakes, this quilt hasn't been any quilt competitions.  It sits in the cabinet along with the other quilts that possess prize ribbons. But for the time being, it sits center stage at the library for all to see.  When I see it there, it reminds me that I have come a long way in my quilting journey.  It make me remember where I started and, if I believe and dream big, my journey can become limitless.
 
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment