Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Black and White and...

I've been working on this black and white optical illusion quilt. I'm still not sure if the illusion will work on such a grand scale. I guess it'll be another learning experience. I have been able to do a little, I had only purchased a 1/2 yard of each of the black and white/off-white fabrics.

I'm going to have to put this quilt aside because I received the backing fabric for the Dresden plate quilt yesterday. I'm not sure if I'll get the quilt sandwiched tonight, I may work on the Quilt Making 101 quilt. I don't know why, but I'm anxious to get that quilt top done and out of the way!

I don't know about you, but I feel a little guilt when making a quilt when I think about how much $$ can go into the fabric. Once the quilt top is complete, I feel a little better seeing the finish product. Yet, I haven't purchased the quilt backing yet. There can be a lot of yardage in backing a quilt (in my own experiences, it can be 6-8 yards, depending on the size of the quilt). Now, add that up and there goes more $$$.

Lately, I have been visiting eBay and quiltshops.com to look for my backing fabric. I can usually find some great deals. I had just purchased 7 3/4 yard of fabric for my Sunflower sampler quilt that was just $2.99/yard! It helps me feel a little better. I love supporting my local quilt shops, but I did find the fabric for a price that was about 70 % cheaper!

Gonna work on some tops so that they will be ready once their backing fabric arrive. And then, it' time for machine quilting!! AGGGHHHHH! I've gotta conquer that part of it, too!

Wish me luck!

Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment