Monday, August 29, 2011

Busy Weekend

I knew this was going to happen as soon as school started.  I thought I was busy with one child with extra curricular activities.  Now I have two boys who will be playing basketball this year (older son has already started) and the younger one will start his first year of Cub Scouts.  I was lucky last year because they both were in the same school so I was able to attend school functions for both of them at the same time (holiday parties, Christmas program, book sale...).  Now the older son is in middle school so I am having to juggle my time and try not prioritize one event over another.

And it happened this last weekend.  One son had basketball and the other had Cub Scouts.

Speaking of Cub Scouts, my younger son had his first Cub Scout event.  He raced in the Raingutter Regatta!  More info at the bottom of this post.

Despite the running around we did, I was able to work on some of my quilts.


I had finished piecing the last sashing strip.  Wheww!  So glad that's done!


I should have been more careful when I was sewing it to the blocks.  So anxious to get the top together, I should have taken the seam intersections (am I using the right terms?) slower so that I'd sure that the points came out perfect.

Example: these points don't even meet.

I still have the boarders to applique, but I think I'll set it aside for a little while so I don't get too burnt out on it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to my baby's Raingutter Regatta.


The Raingutter Regatta is a racing event that is sailboat equivalent to the Cub Scout's Pinewood Derby.  A sailboat kit is required and the Scout with his parent are to assemble, paint, and decorate their boat as they choose.

Then, the boats are raced in a standard raingutter that is 10 feet long, placed on saw horses, and filled to the top with water.  The boats are propelled by blowing into the sail.  The boat cannot be touch by the hands.The first boat to reach the end of the gutter is the winner.

He said that he wanted a Darth Vader boat.  So we found some scrap booking paper with Darth Vader and fussy cut it to fit the sail.  He had painted it black (and he didn't make too much of a mess) and I sealed it with a high gloss clear coat.


And what a great outcome from his very first event as a Tiger Scout.  Something for him to proudly remember and to help keep his excitement for Scouting!


/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/


I've finished another top this weekend.  It is my Spring Bloomers quilt made with one of Susan Branch's fabric line.

I'll post those photos tomorrow...I promise!

Jane   <3

1 comment: