Saturday, October 23, 2010

Quilt Labels: Part Four

At last, the label is finished. I am planning to use a red and white check fabric for the backing of my Round the Block quilt. I think the bold red border on the label will stand out on the back of the quilt.



Once the quilt is quilted, I usually applique the label to the lower left hand corner.

Some other information that can be added to a quilt label is name or names of other people who helped construct the quilt, name of the quilter (if it isn't yourself), or the source of pattern of your quilt.


For example, in my Granny's Garden quilt, I had added the name of the quilter and the name of the quilt I had copied it from (I wouldn't necessarily use the word "copy." The pattern was in an issue of Quilter's Newsletter). I had embroidered that information half the size of the other letters.
I used fabrics that I had used in the quilt top to border the label. The ladybug was added because I had appliqued ladybugs to the quilt top. And the heart was added for Granny. I will miss her.

Brye Lynn, from her blog/pocast Sew Stitch Create (sewstitchcreate.com), she had mentioned adding your maiden name on the label. I had never thought of it and I think it would be a great idea. With my married name, history will not link it to my maiden name family, nor will it link it to my mother's family. So, perhaps, I might start adding my extended name on the label:
Jannie _______ Stamper (____)
That's gonna take up a lot of space on a label!
Halloween is just around the corner and I have to finish the lab coat my son will be wearing. I still have to think of a way for him to have the fuzzy eyebrows and mustache.
I'm gonna have to get back to sewing.
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment