Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Making Bias Binding

A few of my quilt tops are at their final stages of completion (before quilting) and I have been making the bias strips for the binding for them. I wanted to demonstrate how I make my own bias strips. There are many different methods of making bias strips for binding, but this is the method that I primarily use.

I usually use a yard of fabric when I make my binding.

On one particular quilt, I was wanting to use a 5/8 inch binding. By multiplying 5/8 by 4 (.625 X 4), it will give me the width to which I should mark my strips ( equals 2 1/2 inches).
Since my fabric is striped, I need to use the 45 degree mark on my ruler.It will verify that I have a true 45 degree bias.

I marked twelve strips and cut each end at a 45 degree angle.


The illustration shows how I match each end (match 1 to 1, 2 to 2...) to create a spiral effect once the ends are sewn together.


The ends pinned together and ready to be stitched.


Make sure the seams are pressed open - the seam (top strip) is virtually invisible on the right side of the fabric.

Press in half length-wise.


Then, press each side to the center.


The finished size - 5/8 inch. TA DA!!


I keep the binding strip on a cardboard roll until I am ready to use it.


The waste that is leftover is about 18 inches square.
Once the quilt top is finished, it will measure 72 inches by 78 inches. I will be needing about 300 inches (25 feet) of binding. I've made approximately 432 inches of binding. I know, it's more than I need. It's better being safe than sorry.

I hope it isn't too confusing.
Jane

3 comments:

  1. Jane,

    That's a great tutorial - you do such precise work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ingenious!! My Frolic quilt has a striped binding. I will definately use this tutorial when I am making it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have yet to make a bias binding but if/when I do, I'll have your tutorial to guide me. It's great, thanks for doing it.

    ReplyDelete